Friday, June 8, 2012

Fat Witch Brownies' Skinny Cookbook

This cookbook is entirely devoted to brownies and the occasional non-chocolate bar cookie. I've never actually eaten a Fat Witch brownie from the bakery, but I'd heard good thing about them (and I love brownies) so I thought this cookbook would be a wonderful addition to my bookshelf. I was right. Their recipes are, in general, simple and well thought out. They have some really nice basics (many different chocolate brownies, for example) and some really interesting, more unique flavors as well.

My one complaint is that this book is very skinny. It doesn't have a ton of recipes and it's printed on flimsy paper (though the hard cover and dust jacket are sturdy), for the price anyway. Then again, how many brownie recipes can you possibly have? At least they made the most of it being a small cookbook. It's just shy of being 9 inches square. This is important because, as they note in the book, that makes it the perfect size to fit in a 9x9in brownie/cake pan--the size pan that is called for in all of the recipes (the fact they they all use the same pan does make things simple...no need to by specialized equipment to make the recipes in this book). That way you can put the book in the pan, tie a bow around it, and voila the perfect gift for a baker! The reason I like this so much is not because it makes an easy gift, but because it reflects an attention to detail--maintained throughout the book--that I too often find lacking in cookbooks.

I've made quite a few recipes from this book and all of them have been delicious. My favorites are the Cocoa Brownies, both for their ease and their taste, and the Earl Grey Brownies, which have a complex flavor and the moistest (spell check isn't having a problem with the word moistest, but I am, gosh it doesn't sound like a proper word at all) texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment